Motorcyclist climbs Mt Snowdon to thank Wales Air Ambulance


A MOTORCYCLIST involved in a serious accident scaled Mount Snowdon exactly a year later to thank the ‘incredible’ team for saving his life.

Mark Kempsell, 29, was involved in a collision in north Wales near the village of Groes after taking a drive after work on the evening of July 23 last year.

Mark, who lives in Newton-le-Willows, suffered serious injuries and had to be taken to hospital by Wales Air Ambulance.

READ > Singer urges others to swab after diagnosis

He was treated at the side of the road and then flown to the hospital.

A passer-by who was himself involved in a similar incident about 20 years ago stayed with Mark the entire time while he waited for an ambulance to comfort him, hold his hand and speak to him.

Mark sustained seven fractures in his neck, pelvis, arm and wrist and ruptured his C2 vertebra, which is usually fatal or results in paralysis, meaning time and treatment were of the essence for Mark.

He underwent surgery on Sunday but unfortunately complications arose after sustaining lacerations on an artery in his neck.

Luckily this was resolved and Mark spent two days in intensive care and was discharged from the hospital on August 5th after 13 days.

Mark is recovering from last year’s crash

Mark then recovered with his father and returned to his home in Newton-le-Willows in October.

Mark took on the climb on Saturday (July 23) to celebrate one year to the day and was joined by friends and family including his brother and father.

“I had a good mix of friends from different stages of my life, some from Scotland and Ireland, and my family was there,” said Mark, who returned to work full-time as agricultural manager at Co-op in February. although he still struggled with pain, especially at night as his sleep was affected.

“I also met Matt Green who was the one who came on the scene and stayed with me the whole time, he came to say goodbye and that was really good.”

St. Helens Star: Mark was joined by friends and family on the dayMark was joined by friends and family on the day

Wearing t-shirts provided by Wales Air Ambulance for the climb, the team braved the wet conditions to reach the summit.

“We left around 9am and the weather was terrible, we got totally soaked, there was strong wind, unfortunately it wasn’t summer conditions but it was real and we came out on top.

“It was great getting up there, the last bit was a real fight.

“It was a nice feeling and on the first anniversary (since the crash). When we got up there it was only a few hours before the exact time of day of the accident.

“We then went downstairs and ended up meeting up with Matt, which was nice.”

St. Helens Star: Mark reached the top of Mount SnowdonMark reached the top of Mount Snowdon

At the time of writing, over £4,500 had already been donated to Wales Air Ambulance. In support of Mark’s efforts.

Mark, who turns 30 on August 5th, added: “It was a great feeling and fantastic to be able to raise this amount of money for Wales Air Ambulance. We raised about what it would have cost to care for me.”

On his donation page, Mark wrote: “We did it! What a great day! Thank you to everyone who supported the climb.

“The money you so kindly donated will make a huge difference. It was a really tough climb and the pain was very high but thanks to the support of friends and family that day we made it to the top!

“The weather was absolutely lousy. Horizontal rain and strong winds, but that’s just a normal British summer! A great day with great people raising money for a great charity! Thank you all!”

St. Helens Star: The group conquered Mount SnowdonThe group captured Mount Snowdon

Mark will present a check for the final amount to Wales Air Ambulance on August 15th.

Visit to donate.


Comments are closed.