Community Care | VA Cheyenne Health Care


VA provides care to veterans through community providers when VA cannot provide the care they need. Community care is based on specific eligibility requirements, the availability of VA care, and the needs and circumstances of individual veterans.

Your provider has entered your recommendation, now what?

The specialty care service will review your referral to determine if the service is available in the VA or if it needs to be returned to the community.

Step 1

What happens if my recommendation is saved in VA?

  • If the VA provides the requested services, expect a call from a VA representative within 3 business days.
  • After an unsuccessful attempt to contact us by telephone, you will receive a letter in the post that will help you to arrange an appointment.
  • Your referral can be canceled after 14 days of unsuccessful contact.
  • Please keep your voicemail on and do not block calls from the VA. Read the letters the VA sends you. If you have any questions, please call us at 307-778-7550, select option 6.

What if my referral goes to Community Care?

  • Expect a call from the Community Care Office after 3 business days. If you do not receive a call, please contact the Community Care Office at 307-778-7550, select option 6 and follow the prompts.
  • You can also contact the Community Care Office by sending a secure message to MyHealtheVet

The Community Care Office will:

  1. Assistance in choosing a preferred network community provider.
  2. Submit your referral and medical documentation.
  3. Mail them a scheduling letter with instructions on how to schedule your appointment with the community provider.

step 2

You are responsible for:

  1. Arrange your appointment with the community provider.
  2. Notify the Community Care Office of the appointment by calling 307-778-7550, select option 6.
  3. Observe the mail for the authorization letter. This letter includes the number of visits approved, services approved, specialist contact information, and the approved time frame for treatment.

What do I do after I receive my authorization letter?

Please keep this letter for your records and take it with you to your first appointment. You are responsible for:

  1. Attend your appointments within the approval dates.
  2. Contact your referring provider if additional services are required after the authorization expiration date.

How can my VA provider verify my community records?

  • Ask the community provider to fax the results of your visit to 307-778-7360 to have them added to your electronic medical record for your provider to review.
  • You can obtain the community records and bring them to the VA to be loaded into your medical record.

step 3

What is the quickest way to contact VA’s medical teams?

What should I do if I receive an approved care bill?

  • If you disagree with the balance on your bill, call the phone number provided on the bill to ensure the Community Provider has a copy of your referral authorization and correct sponsor/guarantor information. If your transfer authorization is correct but the issue still cannot be resolved, contact the Community Care Office for assistance.

step 4

Other Important Referral Information

  • Obtaining care services from a municipal provider without a valid permit can result in significant costs to you. Please ensure you have the appropriate authorization before seeking non-emergency community care.
  • Understand that appointment types may vary. Many providers can schedule appointments by phone, telemedicine (virtual), recording, or in person.
  • If you are eligible for travel, please contact the travel agent for VA and community appointment reimbursement requirements by calling 307-778-7550, ext. 7224.

To avoid billing problems:

  1. Never go to a community provider without authorization or leave your authorization credentials. If you require an authorization number or service details, please call 307-778-7550 and select option 6.
  2. If you are visiting the community emergency room, call 844-724-7842 within 72 hours.

What to do if you’re contacted by an invoice/payment provider

If you have an invoice or questions about a claim payment
Contact VA C4 (Community Care Contact Center) – including US Pacific Territories.
C4 Phone: 877-881-7618.
Hours of Operation: 5:45 a.m. to 6:15 p.m

When you are contacted by a community provider about an invoice or unpaid claim
Direct the community provider to the TriWest Claims Call Center at 877-226-8749 (this phone number is for TriWest network providers only).
The TriWest Claims call center assists vendors with claim submissions, status updates and claim denials.

If you’re having problems with your credit report and collections as a result of using Community Care
Contact the VA Adverse Credit Helpline at 877-881-7618.


Comments are closed.